11.16.2012

What really goes on...

Have you ever walked into a kids room and your amazing preggo nose tells you it smells like poop? And then you can't find the poop? And then you don't really want to find the poop, but it just keeps smelling. 'sigh'
M Jr's room stinks and I can't find the source. He says it's dog poop outside his window. Hmm.... This may be another blog post in the future depending on what I find.

So I while back I read that federal funding was going to go away for Poison Control. I really think that that shouldn't happen and if it can't be funded by the Feds, every person with kids should just give them $10 or something. It's lot less than a trip to the ER and chances are you'll need to call them someday.
Like I had to last week.

We had to unexpectedly have naptime at my parents house because of the workers at the house and as usual, M Jr. slept in my parents bed. Of course he made a beeline for all the stuff on my mom's nightstand (earplugs first, a lovely choking hazard, right?). So I promptly cleared the nightstand and put it all on top of a shelf that was obviously taller than him.

Sophia and I and Xavier (in his pack&play) laid down in the guest room. We all napped, and I thought I heard a rustle of M Jr waking up in the next room, but it stopped. So I thought he had gone back to sleep. About 15 minutes later, I heard him walking around, so I left the other sleeping kids to check on him. He had that guilty look and Mom's earplugs were on the bed and the wooden nightstand looked unusually shiny.

He had gotten down the earplugs and greased her nightstand with lotion. Then I saw the bottle on the floor. It was Strawberry flavored melatonin. 5mg tablets, a jar of 90 pills. It was empty except for the silica packet. He had eaten every last one.

I panicked. How much time did I have to deal with this? He had probably eaten them 15 minutes ago? Mom couldn't pick up her phone because she was teaching, but I needed to know how many pills had been in there! A call to Pop verified it had prob been about half full, at least.

Thank God for poison control. I called and a calm sounding nurse answered. I gave her all the facts and she didn't tell me to rush him to the ER. I could feel the relief flow through my body when she said, "Well, melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone in our bodies. If we have to much, our bodies just push it aside. He may be a bit sleepy, but otherwise, he should be fine." She verified he had no underlying health conditions and told me not to worry about it. 'phhheeeew'

So M Jr had been sitting quietly on the couch the whole time (wierd) looking sleepy. But he eventually bounced up and started playing. At one point about 30 min later, he set his toy down and said, "Mommy I'm a little bit tired.... but I have LOTS of energy!" I think he fought off the fatigue and so he never really seemed to slow down as a result of all that melatonin.

So it all ended well and gave us a very good reason to have that very serious talk with the kids about never ever eating medicine or vitamins or anything they find. And of course to tell us if they ever see a sibling doing that!

And this was a reminder for me to keep praying to the kids' guardian angels!!

No comments:

Post a Comment